Frequently Asked Questions
- What does a string quartet consist of?
A string quartet is made up of two violins, a viola and a 'cello.
- Which areas do you cover?
Scintillo String Quartet performs extensively at all of the major venues throughout Essex, Suffolk, Norfolk, Cambridgeshire and London. Queries for engagements outside of these areas are welcomed but may be subject to travel expenses.
- Do you have any specific requirements to perform on the day?
We are an acoustic ensemble and as such do not require any power points or audio equipment. All we ask is that we have four sturdy armless chairs, and reasonable space in which to play (roughly 4m x 3m, although we are able to fit in to slightly smaller spaces). Any other equipment, for example music stands, music etc, will be supplied by ourselves.
- Do you play outside?
We often play outside and are more than happy to do so, weather permitting of course. We do ask clients who would like us to play outside to take notes of the following points:
- Stringed instruments should not be placed in direct sunlight and therefore we require a shaded area in which to play outside. Ideally this space would need to be roughly 4m x 3m and free of any obstacles. We try to be as flexible as possible, for example sitting under trees or in a shaded area. To ensure that we will definitely be able to play outside many clients find it useful to erect a small gazebo for us in which to play.
- In the event of rain, we regret that we would not be able to play outside as water can cause severe damage to stringed instruments.
- On particularly windy days we would be as flexible as possible but may not be able to play outside due the wind blowing over music etc.
- How long can we book you for?
Our minimum booking during the summer months is for two hours as this is our busiest time of year. Enquiries for shorter bookings are welcomed as we are often able to accommodate clients requirements for shorter engagements which are within our immediate locality. As a general rule we have no length of time set as a maximum booking.
- After our ceremony we are moving on to another venue – is this okay for you?
Travelling between venues is not a problem at all, and if necessary would be done within the total time period that you book us for. So that there is no disruption to the music at your event we do ask that you take this into consideration when deciding on the duration of your booking.
- Do you take a break at all?
We would expect to take a 15-20 minute break for every two hours booked. For example during a four hour booking we would take one 15-20 minute break at a convenient time so as not to disrupt your event. For a two hour booking we would not take a break at all unless we are asked to provide two one hour sets.
- What time will you arrive at our venue on the date of our event?
We will arrive at least 30 minutes before the start time of your booking. This allows us plenty of time to set up, tune and to prepare to play.
- What happens if our events starts late of overruns?
In the event of the function overrunning due to a late start we will endeavour to play for the amount of time that you have booked us for. However, due to the nature of our work we will sometimes not be able to play beyond the agreed finish time. In the past where clients have been unsure of the exact timings for their event it has not been uncommon for them to book an additional 30-60 minutes to allow for all eventualities.
- What happens if a member of the quartet is ill on the day of our booking?
In the unlikely event that one of the quartet members is unable to play at your event due to illness or unforeseen circumstances, we would replace the absent member with another professional player of equal ability and experience who is known to us and our repertoire. This ensures that the high quality standard of the quartet is maintained at all times and will not affect your event at all.
- What do you wear?
We are happy to tailor our dress code according to your requirements and are happy to be as smart or as casual as you like! Unless a dress code is requested we will wear smart all black so as not to be incongruous to your event.
- We would like a piece of music which is not in your repertoire, can you help us with this?
Yes! The Scintillo String Quartet offers a music arrangement service for pieces which have not previously been published for string quartet. If we do not already hold a particular piece in our extensive repertoire and cannot source the music from elsewhere, we can arrange it for you. We would of course need adequate notice and there is sometimes an additional fee for this service. Please contact us for further information.
- How do we go about booking you?
Please contact us with your enquiry and we will respond within 24 hours confirming our availability and fee. To assist us with your enquiry please provide as much information as possible, for example the date, venue and the duration of the booking. If you did want to go ahead and confirm a booking with us we contract the engagement and ask for a deposit of £100. We then ask that the final balance is paid one month in advance of the date of your event.